Summer Camps and Programs
Benefits of Learning to Sail
Sailing is an incredible experience that has lifelong value and rewards for kids. Consider sailing lessons and camps as you plan your child’s summer activities.
1. Time outdoors. Sailing is an ideal way to disconnect from everyday distractions and make the most of San Diego’s sunny skies and beautiful waters.
2. Confidence builder. Sailing teaches independence and promotes self-confidence. “Sailing opens the door to individual effort,” says Head Coach Jon Rogers of Coronado Yacht Club. “It brings kids out of their comfort zones and encourages them to trust themselves.”
3. Spatial awareness. Steering and maneuvering a vessel teaches kids to be aware of their surroundings and how to react to things in front of them.
4. Sense of direction. Sailing teaches geographic awareness as kids begin to understand wind direction and how to use a compass.
5. Lifetime sport. Sailing is unique because, unlike many other sports, it doesn’t strain the body or require expertise to enjoy. It’s a lifelong skill that can be enjoyed regardless of physical ability, age or skill level.
6. Fun! Sailors love making friends, doing fun activities on the water and learning new skills.
Sailing Camps and Lessons in San Diego
Coronado Yacht Club
1631 Strand Way, Coronado
Southwestern College Camps at Crown Cove Aquatic Center
5000 CA-75, Coronado
Mission Bay Aquatic Center
1001 Santa Clara Pl., Mission Bay
San Diego Yacht Club
1011 Anchorage Ln., Point Loma
Lorea Mendiguren is a senior at Academy of Our Lady of Peace, a competitive sailor from Coronado Yacht Club and an intern at San Diego Family.
Published April 2016
|< Prev||Next >|