Crafts For Kids
DIY American Flag Shirts for July 4th
Whatever your plans this Independence Day, you’ll want to sport red, white and blue on July 4th. Turn the planning into a family affair and make custom t-shirts! These DIY projects are sure to please. Plus, American flags never go out of style, so wear your new shirts all summer. Find supplies at local craft stores.
Handprint Flag Shirts
- Red, white or blue t-shirt
- Red, white and blue acrylic paint (depending on color of shirt) that’s safe for fabric
- Silver sequin stars (optional)
- Fabric glue
- Paint palm of hand generously.
- With fingers spread apart, press hand carefully onto left side of shirt.
- Paint stripes as shown in photo.
- Let dry completely.
- Glue sequin stars onto handprint.
Festive Flower Flag Shirts
- Blue silk flower 4-6” diameter
- Pin back
- Glue gun
- White shirt
- Wax paper
- Red rickrack
- Fabric glue
- Use a glue gun to glue pin back to the back of silk flower. Set aside.
- Place a piece of cardboard lined with wax paper inside the shirt (this prevents glue from seeping through the shirt).
- Cut 4-5 strips of rickrack, all the same length.
- Use fabric glue to adhere rickrack to the shirt in horizontal lines (leave about one inch between each). Let dry completely.
- Pin flower onto shirt in the upper left corner of the rickrack (see photo).
Diana Buell is a local crafter and mom of two boys.
Complete your outfit with DIY Star-Spangled Shorts and flip flops! Find directions at www.sandiegofamily.com/for-the-kids/crafts-for-kids/1951.
Published June 2017
|< Prev||Next >|